Tips to Stay Cool This Summer
Soaring temperatures can adversely impact your health and interrupt your fitness plan. Here are some tips to remember as we enjoy summer.
- Stay indoors and in an air-conditioned place when possible.
- Drink lots of cool, non-alcoholic fluids. Drink two to four glasses of water an hour when exercising.
- Check with your doctor if you have health problems that require you to limit your fluid intake.
- Don’t wait until you are thirsty to drink.
- Avoid hot meals and keep them light.
- Never leave anyone in a closed, parked vehicle, especially children or pets—even for a few minutes. Heat builds up rapidly in a closed vehicle, and it doesn’t take much exposure to make children or pets very ill.
- Wear light and loose workout clothes when exercising.
- To protect yourself from skin damage, use sunscreen liberally.
- If you choose to exercise outside, always tell someone where you are going and at what time you are coming back.
- Avoid exercising alone. Bring a buddy and a cell phone if you leave a public area.
- Avoid participating in outdoor physical activity between 12:00 p.m. and 4:00 p.m., when temperatures are at their highest. Exercise earlier in the morning or right before dusk when the temperature is cooler.
For more tips on summer safety while exercising, talk to one of our Fitness Specialists or contact us.